Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Being a piano teacher in rural India, I constantly battle the nagging thought that piano lessons are, well…I can never find the exact word for it – but something along the lines of “not really necessary or useful.”

The odds the children of Shanti Bhavan face are enormous. They come from extremely poor, disadvantaged families – and in India, the words “poor” and “disadvantaged” take on entirely new meanings when you truly start to see the effects of the caste system. These children are the first in their families to make it through high school. They do not have any academic role models: no father who is a lawyer, no mother who is a doctor, no one pushing them to go to college and follow in the prestigious footsteps set before them. Instead, they are blazing a trail. And they must walk this trail with the weight of the poverty of their entire family resting on their shoulders. They do not go home after school to parents who ask “What did you learn in school today?” or “How did you do on that math test?” They live here, amongst each other, with only themselves, their teachers, the volunteers, and their “aunties” (residential staff) to guide them – personalized attention and support is never a guarantee. If they do not succeed at Shanti Bhavan, if they were go to back home – they would face the realties of manual labor, factory work, early marriage…

So given these circumstances – where they come from and what they are trying to achieve, it is literally IMPERATIVE that they do well in their classes and successfully pass the entrance examinations for college. They need to learn math, physics, chemistry, biology, English, writing, Hindi, Tamil, economics, civics, history…the list of needs goes on. But where on that list does “learning how to play an E-harmonic-minor scale” fit? Does playing a Bach Sarabande REALLY help?

This is my existential dilemma. Is my year’s purpose really to equip these students to fight against the odds with…piano?

Inevitably, I return to my own experience to begin to answer that question. Music has never paid my rent or bought me food. But was it useless to me? What has it given me? Besides the obvious: work ethic, patience, artistic sensibilities, “culture” – it has also given me who I am. Quite literally. Sometimes I forget how much music is a part of me – but subconsciously, it’s always there. I felt this my first week at Shanti Bhavan when I walked to the cafeteria for lunch one day. My jet lag was waning, I had begun to settle in, and get used to life here. As I was eating, the music that had been playing on the CD player in the cafeteria switched suddenly to a Mozart piano sonata. It was like someone I knew and loved had walked through the door. It was the first time I had listened to classical music since leaving Colorado and starting my life over here – and without even realizing what was happening, my eyes completely teared up. The purity and depth, the meaning, the memories… If in the middle of rural India, an American girl can instantly feel at home through a few clear notes of Mozart, the implications of music must run deep in the veins.

So there it is. If my piano lessons can provide that touchstone in the hearts of my students here…if I can help them cultivate their own self-discovery, self-acceptance, and self-confidence…then I won’t just be teaching piano lessons – I will be making a real difference.

5 comments:

  1. That is SO awesome. it's the truth... we wonder what good could the arts do for people who have nothing... but it gives them a welcomed escape into another world that brings hope. The music world is untouchable by the harsh realities of life. I think it's IMPERATIVE you are teaching them piano!!!!!!! I love this!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Sierra. Whenever we need to change our mood (or match it for that matter), we turn to music. I can't imagine my life without knowing something about playing the piano. I'm by no means an advanced pianist, but sitting with my grandmother and having her teach me piano are some of my most favorite memories. LIfe would be miserable if we constantly had to focus on pure academics. The beauty of you teaching piano, and everyone else over there teaching the arts, is that the children understand what it means to work very hard at something that can also be beautiful and fun. While it's true that many people have fun with math, physics, history, and the like, nothing is ever as spectacular as mastering a song or sketching a beautiful picture. What you are doing matters so much because you are giving these children the opportunity to feel PASSION - something that physics formulas and mathematical equations just can't match up to. Teach on, Auntie Allegra, teach on. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alegra, we just returned from Italy and so this is my first chance to catch up on your blog in 3 weeks. This piece was especially well written and meaningful. You gave me goose bumps. The world is lucky to have you in it.

    Your Dad will be with you there soon and I know he is very excited to take part in the great work you are doing.

    Love from Ed & Jane

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad I finally re-found your India Blog, Allegra. And I'm especially glad that I found THIS post because you eloquently and creatively focus on a major issue in education: the role of the fine arts. Music, drama, dance, and the visual arts can provide a backdrop, a setting, indeed a hook for other learning by addressing a variety of student learning styles and needs. The arts provide accessible avenues through which teachers can instill the joy of learning in every child.

    I miss you and cannot even explain how proud I am of you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. allegra, what a beautiful post! those kids need you and need music in their lives. don't doubt that.

    and look at the opportunities piano has given you! they will be able to touch people the same way you are.

    ReplyDelete